Radio Restoration

zenith radioAntique Radio & TV Shop  

Some of My Radio Restoration Projects

1937 Philips Radio

grandfathers radio Here is my grandfather's radio after restoration. I'm sorry I did not take a "before" pictures. The history of this radio is in about-us link. This radio's cabinet was broken to pieces. It took me one week to repair the cabinet, glue it together and polish it, with no cracks visible, in like new condition. Very few parts were needed to restore it electrically; one tube UCH 11 was replaced, one filter capacitor and a few paper capacitors changed, pilot light (neon) and controls and switches cleaned. IF transformers and RF capacitor  were re-tuned to maximum performance.


majestic radio before repair

Here is how this 1934 Roger Majestic cabinet looked when I got it. Painted with several coats of white oil paint: cabinet, knobs, grill, the whole thing. It was given to a new bride by her husband in 1934 and later painted white to match bedroom. When she died 65 years later, her now 85 year old husband remarried and sold this "painted beauty" for $25.00 as is.


rebuild majestic

One week later the cabinet was stripped, washed and painted in original antique walnut color, all paper and electrolytic capacitors replaced and the radio was aligned. This only 5- tube AM radio can pull the stations from 100 miles away with no difficulties, which my latest solid state receiver cannot do! It is using 6A7 tube in RF and oscillator stage, 88S in 1st IF, 6B7s as 2nd IF and detector, #41 is an output tube and # 80 is used as rectifier.


1949 gmc car radio

1947 GMC Car Radio

This car radio was in sad shape. Chassis rusted, missing parts and  somebody tried to repair it. To make it more complicated, the owner of this radio was rewiring his car to 12 Volts.

So I started with cleaning the chassis, replacing all leaky paper capacitors which were disintegrating, and leaky filter capacitors were replaced (new ones mounted on small terminal strip). Signal filter choke was made by winding 120 turns of solid 18 gauge copper wire on a ferrite core. All the tubes had to be replaced for new 12 volt filament voltage ones, new solid state vibrator installed and vibrator transformer replaced for 12 volt battery input.

All controls and switches were cleaned and lubricated. Corroded antenna jack was replaced and finally signal IF and RF alignment made. This retuned the radio to maximum signal sensitivity and selectivity. Radio was tested for 1 day, just to make sure there is no over-heating or any other problem. It is now working for a year with a happy owner in the sunny state of Florida.

Home    FAQ   Antique Radios    Auto Radios     Antique TV's    Price Guides    E-mail us

Back to Home Page